Research Library Intern - R&S-21286
Primary Location: DC-Washington
Employee Status: Temporary
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Type: Internship
Shift: Day Job
Years of Experience Required: 0
Education Required: Some Graduate School
Relocation Provided: No
Salary Grade Low: 22
Salary Grade High: 22
Posting Date: Jan 10, 2019
The Research Library is offering a paid summer internship for graduate level library or information science students. We offer a full array of desktop and customized library services to staff members at the Board and assist in data intensive and web-dependent Board Research.
The Research Library intern will help improve library services to the Board research and professional community. The intern will work on several of the following projects that represent a variety of the library's responsibilities:
Preparing for Library Move
* Perform collection management and other tasks in preparation for move. These include preparing the collection for discard, preparing and sending materials to other federal libraries, preparing sending materials to offsite storage, and measuring volumes of materials in linear feet.
* Other work could include updating holdings and metadata in the library's catalog (the Sierra Integrated Library System), researching the availability of digital versions of materials, and researching the availability of newer editions of monographs.
* This responsibility could potentially represent the majority of the internship hours.
Data Inventory Catalog Record Enrichment
* Assist with the curation and cataloging of data sets using international and local standards and practices. Enrich dataset records using subject analysis and normalization of inconsistent metadata.
* Assist with authority control and data cleanup of vendor records. Link research with data assets used in research, to display in data inventory. Process and analyze search logs for controlled subject vocabulary term enrichment.
Scholarly Research and Communications
* Create researcher IDs (ORCID, etc.) for Board authors and connect those IDs to author publications.
* Research and report out on several topics of interest to library strategy (precise topics TBD, but they will likely relate to issues in scholarly communications, research data, and library management).
* Marketing Draft a presentation and outreach materials to promote data mapping resources; assist with review of general marketing materials.
This full-time (40 hours per week during working hours) internship is located in Washington, D.C., lasts 10-12 weeks, and begins in late May or early June.
- Enrolled in a Master's degree program in library or information science at an ALA-accredited institution
- Knowledge and interest in library technology
- Coursework in original and copy cataloging
- Attention to detail, initiative, and good communication skills a must
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and undergraduate & graduate unofficial transcripts. To apply, please visit https://www.federalreserve.gov/start-job-search.htm and search for job number 21286.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or application, membership, or service in the uniformed services.