Boston College seeks a knowledgeable and innovative individual for the
position of Resource Acquisitions Librarian*.* The successful candidate,
under the supervision of Head of Resource Acquisition & Management,
provides strategic vision, leadership, innovation, assessment, and
management of all aspects of acquisitions and electronic resources
management, budget and services. This position directly oversees,
supervises, and trains monographic acquisitions staff, and manages
operations for O’Neill Library and some of the special libraries. This
position also develops and oversees projects, working with Head of Resource
Acquisition & Management and other managers, to devise and refine processes
that optimize services across the Libraries, with a focus on ensuring the
ability to utilize available technologies to streamline processes.
- Develop and provide reports and analysis of collections and/or
financial data to Budget Group, managers, subject librarians and other
library staff as well as provide support for budget management and
- Collaborate with Head of Resource Acquisition & Management and other
library staff to ensure the smooth development and implementation of
department workflows for monographs, continuing resources and electronic
resources, identifying problematic areas and ensuring that action items are
brought to the attention of appropriate technical services staff
- Supervise the work of five staff members to ensure timely and accurate
processing of orders, claims, invoices, and gifts and provide input to Head
of Resource Acquisition & Management on individual staff performances.
- Resolve problems with duplicate orders, claims, and credits for
returns and supports the work of the Head of Resource Acquisition &
Management through accurate and timely monitoring of the materials
budget in Alma and PeopleSoft and the preparation of reports.
- Manage the timely and accurate ordering of new materials and
processing of invoices, claims, and credits to effectively control the
budget and inventory.
- Work as a team member to resolve problem reports from vendors and
- Serve on committees, working group and task forces as needed.
- 5 years of post MLS experience preferred
- 1-3 year of supervisory experience preferred
- Experience with acquiring of library material from monographic vendors
- Understanding of automated library acquisitions systems and processes
- Understanding of accounting principles and practices
- Experience working with electronic resources, serials and e-books in
an academic library
- Experience working with subscription vendors, publishers, interface
- Experience with reviewing and negotiating license agreements preferred.
- Experience with the variations of electronic resources, licensing,
packages, platforms, aggregators, and vendors, and the ability to manage at
the big picture level
- Experience with collections budget management
- Experience with assessment and analysis of collections and budget
- Comfort with technology and ability to exploit new and existing
technologies to refine workflows
- Understanding of technical services workflows and familiarity with
metadata formats and cataloging rules
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Full-Time Equivalent Hiring Range: $64,500 to $80,600; salary commensurate
with relevant experience.
About Boston College:
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located
six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,150 full-time
undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31
among national universities, Boston College has 758 full-time and 1,096 FTE
faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $956 million,
and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.
More information and to apply: