Full-Time Metadata and Cataloging Librarian Position: Federal Reserve Board, Washington D.C. (federal government position)
• Are you an expert in library and metadata standards, including non-MARC metadata schemas?
• Do you have expertise in cataloging non-monographic materials, such as serials or data, and in metadata quality control?
• Are you interested in working on data cataloging initiatives to meet the evolving needs of users, including use of emerging data models and linked data?
We are seeking a Metadata and Cataloging Librarian to join our staff at the Federal Reserve Board, as our subject matter expert on library and metadata standards.
The Metadata and Cataloging Librarian will join a collegial, energetic team of 16 librarians who collaborate to ensure efficient discovery and access to data and library resources. These resources help fuel the research of some of the most respected economists in the world and support the policy of the Federal Reserve.
The Federal Reserve Board’s Career webpage (https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers.htm) has detailed benefits and salary information. Salary commensurate with experience. Hiring at grade FR-24 or FR-25, $85,700 - $136,000, with promotion potential.
Apply online (https://www.federalreserve.gov/start-job-search.htm) by searching “Metadata and Cataloging Librarian” or Job Number 21251 (direct link: https://frbog.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=21251 )
The responsibilities and duties include:
o Providing subject matter expertise on library and metadata standards and authority control, recommending policies, developing processes and best practices, creating documentation, and keeping abreast of national and international developments in metadata standards, technologies, trends, and techniques
o Original and complex copy cataloging and authority control for a variety of materials, including monographs, serials, news, and data assets, in accordance with current standards and rules such as RDA, LCSH, LCC, MARC, NACO authority rules
o Ensuring an accurate inventory of print, serials, electronic resources, and data holdings
o Metadata quality control, cleanup, editing, enhancement, migration, and mapping, using tools such as the ILS’s native headings reports, MarcEdit, and/or OpenRefine, and use of regular expressions and SQL queries
o Overseeing copy cataloging and physical processing workflow
o Management of ERM (electronic resources module) coverage loads to support discoverability
o Assistance with development of the Board’s taxonomy, institutional repository, data inventories, and other innovative tools to enhance discovery and automate workflows
o Participation as a member of various teams, including Collection Management, Technology, and Taxonomy and Metadata Teams
o Liaison work with external groups at the Board and in the larger Federal Reserve System, especially regarding data assets
o If necessary, assistance in managing vendor services and relationships
o Creation of the monthly recent acquisitions list
• MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
• Ability to solve problems independently or collaboratively, using sound judgment and analytical skills; ability to meet deadlines; excellent service-orientation; strong written and oral communication skills
• Full-time experience in library systems, cataloging, and authority work, in a variety of formats, including monographs, electronic resources, serials, and, if possible, data assets
• Mastery of original and complex copy cataloging standards and practices, such as MARC21, Dublin Core, FRBR, FRAD, RDA, AACR2-R, LCRI/LCPSs, LCSH, and LC classification schedules
• Expertise in multiple types of metadata, including descriptive, structural, technical, and operational
• Experience with metadata quality control, including use of automated routines for metadata maintenance
• Experience working with library systems and metadata tools, including: integrated library systems (ILS); OCLC Connexion; LC’s Cataloger’s Desktop and Class Web; MarcEdit, OpenRefine; RDA Toolkit
• Familiarity with emerging standards and information technologies in the metadata and electronic resources management area
• Knowledge of XML and linked data technologies (e.g., XSLT, RDF, OWL, SPARQL, BIBFRAME)
• Experience analyzing and remediating existing metadata to meet current standards
• Basic programming skills
• Experience with institutional repository systems (e.g., OCLC CONTENTdm, Fedora, Omeka, DSpace, Dataverse, or comparable products)
• Experience cataloging data assets
• Familiarity with taxonomy development
• SharePoint experience
• Experience collecting and analyzing metrics for library services
• Knowledge of economics, finance, and business
• Knowledge of project management principles
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or application, membership, or service in the uniformed services.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/32041-metadata-and-cataloging-librarian