We're looking for an early-career Web Development Librarian to work with us on some pretty cool stuff in the beautiful Applachian Mountains! In addition to the usual, you'll help us design and build a replacement for our multiple Fedora Hydra/Hyrax/Samvera applications, Omeka sites, and other applications as we work on A Multi-Tenancy Cloud-Native Digital Library Platform. The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is proud to embody the Virginia Tech Principles of Community.
Virginia Tech’s University Libraries seeks an energetic, creative, and highly collaborative librarian to engage in the design, implementation, testing, and maintenance for the Libraries’ growing portfolio of websites and web applications. The Web Development Librarian will work within the Information Technology Division, in close collaboration with the University Libraries Strategic Communications team, to improve the ease of use, visual appeal, adoptability, and desirability of library websites and web applications.
The University Libraries and Virginia Tech are committed to a culture of inclusiveness, diversity, mutual respect, and demonstration of the Virginia Tech Principles of Community. The University Libraries is dedicated to nurturing the learning and growth of our team and ensuring each team member is supported to succeed.
- Coordinate library-wide efforts to design a consistent user experience across physical and online service points;
- Take a lead role in collaborations with Library IT and other stakeholders in the iterative design and testing of the Library’s web presence and online services;
- Collaborate with University Libraries faculty and other stakeholders to design, build, and manage websites; work in cross-functional teams within Library IT, Strategic Communications, and other units
- Maintain professional growth by keeping abreast of emerging technologies; analyze new technologies and trends in academic library web environments, and make recommendations for improvements
- Ensure library web services meet accessibility guidelines
The Web Development Librarian may serve on Library committees as appropriate.
- Masters in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science, Art and Design, or a related field.
- Knowledge of website development, implementation standards, and accessibility/usability guidelines;
- Experience with common web development and usability testing techniques;
- Understanding of web accessibility guidelines and implementation.
- Experience working in a team environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working in a library or educational environment;
- Coursework in user experience research methods;
- Experience managing a large collection of web pages and ensuring consistent appearance and functionality across different systems;
- Familiarity with web content management systems, APIs, and/or web analytics;
- Knowledge of information architecture principles;
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/32182-web-development-librarian