The Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives (http://www.osaarchivum.org/) at Central European University (https://www.ceu.edu/) invites applications for the Chief Archivist/Principal Information Scientist position. Blinken OSA wants to make an exciting appointment that allows the Archives to hire someone either with requisite academic degrees in the humanities or information science, or relevant practical experience, in a university, corporate or NGO setting, in digital and information technologies.
Blinken OSA hopes to attract an unusual intellectual who is ready to experiment and to take calculated professional and intellectual risks; who is passionate about new archival and library theories, technologies, trends in digital media, digital humanities, and open access; and who is highly knowledgeable about emerging IT solutions.
The ideal candidate either works in the field of information technology, but has a deep interest in the philosophy of science, cognitive science, network science or a related field; or works in the humanities or the social sciences, but possesses wide-ranging knowledge of information technology or computer science and data management.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will have a senior position in Blinken OSA and will take part in research and teaching.
The Archives is working on new technologies and methodologies in authenticating documents, historical / forensic evidence. The Chief Archivist/Principal Information Scientist guides and advocates for the ongoing development of physical and digital collections, services, and programs to the Central European University community and the Open Society Foundations (OSF) Network globally. S/he will be one of the intellectual leaders of the institution in charge of developing new intellectual and academic directions
• Either graduate degree in information technology or archival/library science, with demonstrated knowledge and interest in social sciences and humanities or graduate degree in social sciences or humanities, with demonstrated knowledge and interest in information technology and archival/library science or demonstrated qualities needed for innovation in this highly responsible position;
• Experience working in a challenging position at an archival or memory institution;
• Demonstrated skills to effectively supervise and lead the work of an international team of professionals;
• Proof of innovative leadership in an academic-archival setting;
• A persuasive and evolving record of intellectual accomplishments
• Good interpersonal and management skills
• User-oriented approach, user education, and other, public programming and community outreach activities
• Proficiency in English; knowledge of another language of OSA’s main collections is an advantage: Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Romanian, or Bulgarian
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment. The initial contract is for 2 years with the possibility of renewal.
How to apply
Applicants need to submit:
• Cover letter
• Contact information for two referees
Informal inquiries may be addressed to [log in to unmask]
Please send your complete application package to:
[log in to unmask] - job code in subject line: 2019/018
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice.
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/33670-chief-archivist-principal-information-scientist