*Job Announcement *
*The American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
<https://afscme.org/> is hiring a Research Librarian in Washington, D.C.
The starting salary is $72,447/yr with a comprehensive benefits package
<https://afscmestaff.org/rl_benefits>. Learn more about this unique and
rewarding opportunity to work for the nation's largest public services
employees union at * https://afscmestaff.org/research_librarian_i*. *
*Research Librarian I - American Federation of State, County and Municipal
*To view the full posting, go to: *
*Location: *Washington, D.C.
*Salary: *Starts at $72,447 with union-negotiated wage/step increases.
Benefits: See full list of benefits at https://afscmestaff.org/rl_benefits
<https://afscmestaff.org/rl_benefits>*Department: *Research & Collective
*Grade: *United Staff Union — Grade 8
*Duties, Requirements and Desired Qualifications*
This position is responsible for providing information and research
services to union staff and leadership. The ideal candidate will be adept
at: selecting and distributing news and other relevant information for a
targeted audience, researching, analyzing, and disseminating information
from diverse sources in response to patron requests, contributing to the
management, organization, and assessment of the library collection, and
providing outreach and instruction services for users of the Information
- Curates and assembles a daily email newsletter from a wide variety of
sources, comprehensively covering key developments in topics of interest to
- Researches, retrieves, analyzes and disseminates information from
electronic and print sources in response to reference requests.
- Synthesizes research findings into structured, digestible reports for
a variety of audiences.
- Assists with collection management responsibilities including
cataloging, identifying and evaluating potential acquisitions, shelving and
weeding the collection.
- Performs outreach and instructional services for staff and provides
access, assistance and support for Information Center resources.
- Researches, selects and independently assembles and distributes
articles for AFSCME Information Center blogs.
- Creates fact sheets, user guides, and other documentation on internal
and external electronic communications to foster user self-sufficiency.
- Conducts presentations or instructional sessions for internal and
- Remains knowledgeable on issues affecting AFSCME members.
- May supervise clerical support staff.
- Performs other general duties as assigned.
*Education and Experience Requirements:*
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; an advanced
degree in library or information science is strongly preferred, and three
to five years of experience in a library or similar setting which provides
the following skills.
- Ability to identify requestors' needs through use of reference
interviews and craft effective search strategies to address those needs.
- Ability to synthesize research findings and write clear, organized
reports of research results based on the identified information need.
- Skilled in the use of digital technologies and experienced with
electronic library information systems, databases and other information
management and retrieval tools.
- Ability to perform sound research and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to evaluate, abstract and analyze data and technical
information from diverse sources.
- Knowledge of library administration principles.
- Experience with knowledge and information management principles,
strategies and technologies.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with colleagues and
Information Center users.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple demands and deadlines and to
balance short- and long-term priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Commitment to AFSCME’s mission.
- Working knowledge of advanced search logic techniques and optimal
usage of complex legal, business and news databases.
- Experience with library technical services including administration of
OPAC software or other discovery systems and knowledge of metadata and
- Familiarity with data and information management technologies such as
content management system administration, HTML, digital asset management
and relational database structures.
- Interest in labor relations and public sector institutions, law and
*To be considered*
Please send an email with an attached cover letter and resume to:
[log in to unmask] Include the position title, and if you are a current
member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email. Applications
will be reviewed as they are received and considered until the position is
filled. *However, we strongly encourage applying before June 28, 2019.*
*AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not
discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color,
age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification
protected from discrimination under applicable law.*
- Full employer-paid health insurance for employee and family, including
major medical, hospitalization, prescription drugs, vision, dental and
- Health insurance for domestic partners
- Paid short term disability
- Paid long term disability
- Defined benefit pension plan (jointly paid)
- 401(k) savings plan
- Full employer-paid life insurance and accidental death benefits
- 3 weeks earned vacation per year
- 12 days earned sick leave per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Holiday release between Christmas and New Year’s Day with pay
- Tuition assistance reimbursement plan
- Dependent care assistance plan (flexible spending account)
Employees filling a United Staff Union bargaining unit position are
required to join the union and pay membership dues.
*To view the posting, go to: **https://afscmestaff.org/research_librarian_i
<https://afscmestaff.org/research_librarian_i>**. **Please share widely and
excuse any cross-posting.*