Columbia University Libraries invites innovative applicants for a Head of Metadata Management in the Collections Acquisitions & Description Department within the Collections Division. This Librarian position explores all aspects of metadata creation and its application from various sources and coordinates its use across multiple departments, working in both print and digital formats.
Reporting to the Director, Collections Acquisitions & Description, the incumbent will discover opportunities to engage in creative experimentation with an aim to bring efficiencies and balance to the expanding metadata ecosystem.
· Initiates & monitors automated vendor processes such as bibliographic record loads with embedded order data (EOD) and the loading of invoices data transmitted via EDI.
· Develops detailed specifications for numerous record load profiles, coordinating, communicating and troubleshooting the processes with vendors, Libraries Information Technology (LIT) and the Collection Development and Electronic Resource Management (CDERM) departments as needed.
· Assists in deployment, testing and configuration of Library system software, including the Library Management System (LMS), vendor clients and databases and third party applications and tools (Macro-Express, MarcEdit, WorldShare) used to automate workflows from acquisitions to cataloging. Consults with LIT regarding staff workstation configurations and provides system-wide support and training regarding Technical Services applications.
· Develops automated solutions and efficiencies to enhance acquisitions and cataloging workflows including batch processed record enhancement, database maintenance and metadata creation. Identifies, using reporting mechanisms, appropriate categories for batch jobs and considers methods for applying new standards such as FAST or linked data enhancements.
· Runs reports for ReCAP (Research Collections & Preservation Consortium) projects and develops efficiencies in transferring collections offsite.
· Compiles, normalizes and analyzes divisional cataloging production statistics. Devises and considers additional assessment methods to support the needs of the department, the division and the libraries.
· MLS degree or equivalent
· Experience working with Library Data.
· Working knowledge of metadata schema (e.g. MARC) and cataloging standards (RDA, AACR2, etc.)
· Strong communication and writing skills.
· Creativity in problem solving and considerable organizational and analytical skills
· Experience with bibliographic tools and software such as MarEdit or OpenRefine
· Experience with WorldShare, Voyager and Electronic Resource Management systems (ERMs)
· Some coding experience and familiarity with Python, PERL, etc
· Familiarity with linked data principles.
TO APPLY: http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/3140
About Columbia University Libraries:
Columbia University Libraries is a top-tier academic research library, serving one of the world's most important centers of research and learning. The Libraries build, sustain, and make discoverable collections that transcend traditional boundaries of format and domain, keeping pace with a dynamic and rapidly evolving information environment and creating unique opportunities for users to encounter global thought. As vital partners in the University's research and learning ecosystem, the Libraries connects users with rich and distinctive collections, fosters meaningful learning experiences, and provides innovative research support for a large, diverse user population.
The Libraries' collection includes resources in more than 450 languages and primary source materials that span over 4,000 years of human thought. The collection is comprised of 13 million volumes, over 160,000 journals and serials, as well as extensive electronic resources, manuscripts, rare books, microforms, maps, and graphic and audio-visual materials. The Libraries employs more than 350 staff and hosts over 4 million physical and 20 million virtual visitors each year. A leader in strategic partnerships for shared collections, collaborative collection development, and reciprocal borrowing and use, Columbia University Libraries is a key node in a network connecting users to a boundless multitude of resources around the world.
We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds, cultures, experiences, identities, and abilities to apply for this exceptional opportunity to join an evolving Libraries and University community. Columbia University Libraries is a globally-recognized academic research library system, serving one of the world’s most important centers of research and learning in the most exciting and dynamic city in the world. Talented Libraries staff build, sustain, and make discoverable collections that transcend traditional boundaries of format and domain, keeping pace with a dynamic and rapidly evolving information environment and creating opportunities for users to encounter 4,000 years of human thought. As a workplace, the Libraries provide a supportive, connected environment where every employee’s perspective is valued and every employee is encouraged to grow. All staff members have an impact on Columbia’s mission to advance knowledge at the highest levels and make the results of research accessible to the world.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer —Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/34083-head-metadata-management