Employer: University of British Columbia Press (division of the Vice President for Research and Innovation)
UBC Press is seeking a System & Database Administrator for its groundbreaking, multi-partner publishing initiative called RavenSpace. We have designed a platform for media-rich, networked, interactive books in Indigenous Studies that provides a digital space where communities and scholars can work together to share and create knowledge. The platform combines a cluster of open-source technologies, including repository software for digital archiving and collections management for long-term storage, access, and preservation of digital content. We seek administrator expertise for the implementation and maintenance of the system and database.
The System & Database Administrator will be primarily responsible for customizing and maintaining a cloud-based media repository, working with a DSpace database and OwnCloud file transfer system that are hosted on a Compute Canada (self-serviced) cloud server. The role will contribute to establishing cloud-system and database/records management standards for the RavenSpace initiative and has the potential for growth opportunities as the project evolves.
Responsibilities: Following a training and transition period, the System & Database Administrator will be responsible for all aspects of server and database administration, including: installation, server configuration, backup and redundancy assurance, system updates, system security; software configuration and synchronization (module installation, script development, updates); system diagnosis and problem solving; requirements analysis, workflow asessments and documentation; user access; and other work as required for the project’s success.
Skills & Education
· Degree or certificate in IT, Computer Science, Library Sciences, or other relevant area.
· Experience working with databases, including installation, configuration, maintenance, and documentation.
· Ability to learn new technologies and tools rapidly, or experience with and knowledge of web application deployment and management in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) environment, HTML5, along with Python scripts for system synchronization.
· Aptitude for problem-solving and knowledge-sharing.
· Strong capacity to handle details.
· Strong organizational and communication skills, including the ability to work with a project team.
· Experience with and knowledge of best practices for cloud-based VM system administration.
· Familiarity with user testing and analytics.
· Experience with DSpace and establishing best practices for digital asset management.
The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary team developing an innovative project in scholarly communication and the digital publishing industry
Supervision: The System & Database Administrator will perform under direct supervision of the Project Development Manager and in coordination with the platform and book development teams.
Time Commitment: Part-time position until December 31, 2019. We anticipate an initial period of more intensive work, followed by routine maintenance. This position has potential for ongoing part-time employment beyond this time period.
Location: UBC Press is based in Vancouver. Remote (offsite) work will be considered for this role.
Pay Scale: Payment is on an hourly basis, with a rate commensurate with education and experience.
Citizenship: Open to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
Application Deadline: September 23rd, 2019 – position will remain open until filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/36974-system-database-administrator-contract-part-time