The University of Rochester’s River Campus Libraries seek a creative and intentional Electronic Access Librarian to proactively optimize the system and tool integrations that support researchers, students, and community members as they connect to RC Library Collections. Reporting to the Head of Collection Strategies, the Electronic Access Librarian supports access throughout the research lifecycle in collaboration with a talented cross-functional team.
Key responsibilities include: configuration and administration of select applications that support access to collections and other knowledge resources; preparation and maintenance of logs, reports and statistical data to facilitate data-driven decision-making; documentation creation and outreach to library staff, the broader university, and external partners and vendors; ensuring application integration efficiency and effectiveness; support for accessibility in licensing; staying current with emerging trends and best practices related to electronic access models.
30% Managing Access
• Configures and administers a variety of library systems and tools that interface with the library service platform (Alma) and webscale discovery interface (Summon)
• Identifies potential systems and tools in support of emerging access models
• Oversees, documents, and communicates authentication and access optimization efforts
• Supports library staff in optimizing related workflows to library-related licensed applications that facilitate electronic access
• Interfaces with Library IT Services and Outreach Departments to optimize access experience
30% Supporting Access
• Supports outreach and relationship building with patrons, library staff, and vendors, and facilitates productive communication between them to identify and respond to access issues
• Prepares and maintains logs, reports and statistical data to assist the Libraries in maximizing data-driven decision-making
• Proactively communicates and troubleshoots tier 2 access issues in coordination with a variety of departments, developing and disseminating documentation
• Researches and promotes best practices to ensure optimal access for patrons across library systems and applications
• Provides accessibility and inclusive access input to license negotiations
30% Ensuring Access
• Manages long-term preservation of access to electronic resources through appropriate services (LOCKSS, Portico), purchasing/licensing options, and collaborative collection ventures (CRL, EAST)
• Participates in review of contracts and negotiations for ensuring consistent access to resources, and identifies opportunities for opening and preserving collections as data
• Supports data librarian in identification of opportunities to support outreach for personal digital archiving and securing purchased datasets, and preservation for research and other scholarly outputs
• Coordinates efforts to ensure access to university research as a digital estate through collaboration with Metadata and Research Initiatives departments
• Maintains currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures
• Participates in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
• Maintains professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and campus constituencies
• Contributes to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Post-graduate degree in library and information science from an A.L.A.-accredited institution (or related degree that readies for this position)
• Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and understanding of their value and centrality to collection work
• Willingness to learn and explore; interest in redefining traditional conceptions of collection work; tolerance for risk and failure; ability to multitask and prioritize
• Service ethic and user-centered thinking
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills and ability to form strong connections with colleagues across the library and university, peers at other institutions, and vendor contacts
• Ability to work in a team environment
Expertise in one or more of the following areas: application management, application development, negotiation, data management, project management, or scholarly communication
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/ Protected Vet. The River Campus Libraries are committed to an environment that supports a culture of diversity and inclusion. We encourage and invite applicants of color, LGBTQ applicants, and applicants of diverse socioeconomic, cultural and experiential backgrounds to apply for this position. We are invested in supporting employee development and success.
If you have questions regarding the position, please reach out to Lindsay Cronk, Head of Collection Strategies, [log in to unmask]
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
Reference ID: 218589
*When applying online, please upload your cover letter & resume as one pdf document.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/38685-electronic-access-librarian