Title: DevOps Engineer
Category: Exempt, Regular
Department: User and System Support Team, Digital Systems and Stewardship
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students and 4,200 faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan. Recent membership in the Big Ten Academic Alliance is particularly meaningful to the University Libraries and will further propel the university’s ascendancy in academic excellence.
Under the supervision of the User and System Support Director, this positions’ primary responsibility is improving the frequency of deployment for the developers. This is accomplished by deploying, automating, maintaining, troubleshooting and improving the systems that keep the backend infrastructure running smoothly. Automating the processes that will allow the creation of new servers for deployment, and measuring and monitoring the capacity of both our production and development hardware and software performance. The role will encompass the use of a broad range of technologies including VMware, AWS operating systems (Windows, Linux & Mac) and application environments (Oracle DB, SQL Server, IIS), with an emphasis on the implementation of best practice cloud security principles.
The role requires understanding efficiency is created by open collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders.
The position utilizes one-on-one consultancy to end-users and Library staff. The employee in this position will also assist in the maintenance and testing of network servers and associated equipment. The position’s responsibilities require independent and Team-based analyses, communication and problem-solving. Work is performed with little supervision and requires initiative and judgment.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Minimum of 7 years experience, which includes: 4 years as System Engineer and 3 years experience with automation/configuration management using Puppet, Chef or an equivalent
● Demonstrate automation processes and create new technologies
● Demonstrated experience developing, managing, and deploying Docker or vagrant images is essential.
● Experience with Linux systems and a programming language like Python or Ruby.
● Hands-on SA experience in Linux, AWS, network security, system hardening, and system integration.
● Experience using version control systems, such as Git
● Strong service orientation
● Web Application Server configuration experience
● Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Excellent troubleshooting skills.
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills
● A valid driver’s license is required to be able to drive to multiple branches on campus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Think critically – Use logic and analysis to identify the potential enhancements and flaws in security measures.
● Make decisions and resolve problems – Seek out information and data to evaluate, prioritize and formulate the best solution or practice.
● Demonstrate leadership and foster collaborative team approach – interacts well with front line and management providing consultation and expert advice on systems security-related topics.
● Analyze, interpret and present research findings into clear, concise reports.
● Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
● Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work independently and demonstrate initiative.
● Research, test and evaluate vendor hardware and software products
For the full position description, please go to http://www.lib.umd.edu/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-faculty-positions.
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/74363. No relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until October 30, 2019.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/38756-devops-engineer