Title: Discovery Librarian
Division: Historical Medical Library
Supervisor’s Title: College Librarian/The Robert Austrian Chair
About The Historical Medical Library
The Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia (Birthplace of American Medicine®) is one of the largest medical history collections in the United States with over 325,000 volumes including monographs, journals, manuscripts, archives, prints, photographs, pamphlets, and incunabula. It was designated a historical library in 1996 to recognize its function as a repository for the history of medicine.
Function of Position: The Discovery Librarian manages a portfolio of digital library projects, providing the project management framework and technical know-how needed to complete projects successfully. The Discovery Librarian explores, recommends, implements, and maintains software tools and frameworks to support digital library activities. They create and maintain procedural documentation, provide support to the library staff involved with projects and services, and participate in the gathering and analysis of use data. As well, they maintain in-depth knowledge of national standards and best practices in the realm of metadata and digitization. The Discovery Librarian will participate in library-wide projects and activities and is expected to be active professionally.
· Master's degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA accredited program.
· One to three years of successful professional experience with digital projects.
· Experience using AWS (Amazon Web Services) or another cloud based web server provider is essential. AWS services currently in use at the College include, EC2, Route 53, Elastic Beanstalk, Cloud 9, RDS, S3, Glacier etc.
· Familiarity with cataloging and metadata standards/schema, including EAD. Experience with Dublin Core is essential.
· Knowledge of and experience with current digital collection management practices and access issues.
· Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
· Experience using an Interactive Development Environment (IDE) and Git version control in the context of a Ruby on Rails project is preferred.
· Experience with and basic knowledge of Digital Assets Management best practices is preferred.
· Experience using digital library content management systems such as Omeka.
· Experience with ArchivesSpace preferred.
· Experience handling rare books and manuscripts for digitization.
· Strong organizational, customer service, written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent project management skills.
· Comfort with learning new skills/technologies and troubleshooting technical issues.
· Ability to work effectively in a small organization.
· Maintain the College’s digital library site built on the Omeka platform.
· Maintain the College’s digital exhibitions built on a variety of platforms including, Omeka-S, Scalar and Neatline.
· Maintain the library’s archival management site built with ArchivesSpace and hosted on AWS
· Maintain and further develop the library’s new Digital Assets Management System built on the Samvera Framework and deployed in AWS Elastic Beanstalk via Docker Containers.
· Maintain accounts with Dreamhost, AWS, GitHub, DockerHub, Google Analytics, Cloudflare, and others in support of digital library functions.
· Create and manage metadata for library’s digital image library.
· Create and maintain documentation related to the library’s digital platforms and use of technology.
· Participate in activities related to the Medical Heritage Library consortium including the technical management of grant funded digitization projects.
· Manage external digital collections hosted on the Digital Public Library of America and the Internet Archive.
· Manage Rights and Reproductions for materials from the library’s collection.
· Ability to oversee reference desk as needed.
This is a full-time position that receives a competitive non-profit salary with a generous benefits package.
Please email cover letter, resume, and desired salary range to: [log in to unmask]
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/39334-discovery-librarian