All members of the Brown University Library team are vital contributors to our mission to advance instruction, learning, and research at Brown University in an environment of creativity and inclusivity. A community of academic, professional, and organizational learning, the Library embraces people who span a wide range of viewpoints, life experiences, and intellectual pursuits. Together, we preserve the past and innovate for the future. We invite candidates with initiative, unique perspectives, inventive thinking, and a passion for collaboration to join the University's global mission of leadership and academic excellence.
The Systems Librarian plans, implements, and evaluates the use of the Integrated Library System for all aspects of the Library's operations (cataloging, acquisitions, circulation, reserves, etc.). They serve as the Library’s chief liaison with the ILS vendor and user communities. In collaboration with the Collections Strategist for Description and Discovery they provide technical expertise for projects with the Library’s consortial partnerships and provide leadership in short- and long-range planning for the ILS.
The Systems librarian participates in research, planning, and implementation of new technologies related to the ILS; delivering high-level technical expertise and assistance. They collaborate with colleagues in Digital Technologies to continually improve the library user's technological environment including the delivery of content via the ILS, the integration of electronic services and software with the ILS, and the development of new electronic services and software.
The Systems Librarian analyzes workflows in the library’s functional areas associated with the ILS and creates, improves or investigates automated solutions for manual tasks and improves upon existing automated routines. They develop training for staff across the library in use of tools and software and provides related documentation. The Systems Librarian will provide technical support for complex eresource access issues.
In collaboration with the senior leadership in Collections Strategy and Initiatives, the Systems Librarian will create and maintain a routine reporting system that supports data driven decision making and financial management.
● Administers Integrated Library Systems, including responsibilities such as managing permissions, codes, and policies.
● Plans, implements, and evaluates the use of the Integrated Library System (ILS) software.
● Monitors system performance and coordinates daily operations of all related systems.
● Maintains and updates system security and user access capabilities.
● Serves as liaison between technical staff and users to resolve problems and coordinate changes and enhancements with ILS vendor.
● Provides systems support to library staff using all ILS modules and consortial systems.
● Proactively works with staff in all units to optimize use of Library ILS software to improve user service and user satisfaction.
● Keeps up-to-date on ILS enhancements.
● Documents and communicates changes to all appropriate staff in a timely manner.
● Directs short- and long-range planning for the ILS and related systems.
● Serves as Brown's technical representative for consortial library systems.
● Creates standardized and custom reports that support data-driven decision making, and meet the library’s reporting requirements.
● Extracts expenditure information for a variety of reporting needs.
● Analyzes data for various database management projects. Develops queries and reports to aid in solving Technical Services problems.
● Analyzes automation protocols and collaborates with BUL staff to develop new scalable tools, techniques, and applications to improve batch or manual processing and lead to greater efficiencies in BUL’s Technical Services operations.
● Creates and modifies scripts and web middleware for use in automated routines and data transformations.
● Creates and maintains relevant documentation.
● Works with colleagues in Collection Strategy and Initiatives, Digital Technologies and Brown’s Computing and Information Services (CIS) to provide support for the Library’s online resources.
● Attends meetings with CIS and library technology staff as needed.
● Maintains awareness of user authentication protocols (e.g., Shibboleth, IP-based verification) and other tools.
● Assists with eresource troubleshooting and advises on implications of upstream changes (e.g., in the university ID management system) for library services.
● Participates in professional development activities for continuous improvement.
● Active participation in professional and/or academic organizations.
● Maintains a high level of current awareness in the library systems landscape.
● Represents BUL in ILS user groups and meetings.
● MLIS or equivalent required.
● Experience with common library software, automation tools, and standards.
● Knowledge of current technology trends in bibliographic systems and with bibliographic record structures and metadata systems.
● Experience with common programming/scripting languages.
● Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
● Creativity and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to proactively research, analyze, present recommendations and when appropriate, implement complex computer system changes and upgrades.
● Ability to use technology to improve service outcomes and customer satisfaction.
● Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment and to interact productively with others.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as well as an understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as well as an understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace.
· This position requires the ability to read fine or small print
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/42433-systems-librarian