With around 31,000 students from over 120 nations, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU), Germany, is one of the largest and most diverse universities in Germany. JGU unites almost all academic disciplines under one roof with its University Medical Center, the Mainz Academy of Fine arts, the Mainz School of Music, and the Faculty of Translation Studies, Linguistics and Cultural Studies in Germersheim. With 75 fields of study and more than 270 degree courses, JGU offers an extraordinarily broad range of courses. In over 100 institutes and clinics, 4,400 academics, 570 of whom are professors, teach and carry out research.
As the only German university of its size, nearly all of the institutions of JGU are located on one single campus near the city center, which is also home to four partner institutes involved in top-level non-university research.
Mainz University Library is one of the biggest German University libraries serving the academic community within university as well as patrons from outside.
Mainz University Library seeks a
Software engineer, m/f/d
for the web-development team in the department for „Digital Library Services”. Aim of the job will be the development of a platform for the digital representation for the cultural heritage of Rhineland Palatinate.
- Development of a digital collection management system for the digital presentation of cultural heritage objects from Rhineland Palatinate
- Development and enhancement of relevant cultural heritage metadata formats and controlled vocabularies
- Envision, design and implement interfaces for data ingest procedures
- Manage and deliver the „Kulturelles Erbe Rheinland-Pfalz“ platform’s data to other cultural heritage platforms such as DDB or Europeana
- Master or Diploma degree from an accredited university or university of applied sciences (only master’s degree)
- Demonstrated proficiency with contemporary web standards and relevant techniques
- Knowledge and ability to work with database management systems and Linux
- Familiarity with administering a variety of open source applications with limited support
- Hands-on understanding with Ruby on Rails and Blacklight, the open-source search platform Solr and Fedora repository
- Knowledge of structured programming languages such as Ruby or Java
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for linked open data
- Good communications skills in German and English (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work with others under pressure to adhere to tight deadlines.
Salary and benefits:
Your salary is estimated between 53,000 – 61,000 US $, resp. 46,000 – 55,000 € (based on full-time employment) negotiable depending on the level of your experience.
We offer you comprehensive additional services, such as the payment of an annual special payment, participation in the supplementary pension scheme in the public sector via the VBL, the possibility of purchasing a job ticket and extensive personnel development offers.
The Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz attaches great importance to the compatibility of family and career. Family-friendly framework conditions, such as flexible working hours, offer optimal conditions for this.
Applications of senior candidates are welcome.
Disabled applicants will be given preference if equally qualified.
For questions please contact Mr. Armin Wenz (+49 6131 39 29830) or Mr. Marko Knepper (+49 6131 39 32895).
Please send your full application documents by email as a pdf-file
quoting the reference number 01920-UB-ml until March 12, 2020 to
[log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/42753-software-engineer