]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CODE4LIB Home

CODE4LIB  October 2020

CODE4LIB October 2020

October is ELUNA learns Developer Month - Register now!

Alison Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Oct 2020 20:34:37 +0000

text/plain (132 lines) , image003.png (132 lines) , image014.jpg (132 lines) , image015.png (132 lines) , image016.png (132 lines) , image017.png (132 lines) , image002.jpg (132 lines) , image005.png (132 lines) , image007.jpg (132 lines) , image009.png (132 lines) , image011.jpg (132 lines) , image013.png (132 lines)

Hello -

We are offering a series of three excellent sessions by developers, for developers this month.   Don't miss this opportunity to learn how to extend Ex Libris out of the box solutions to ensure you meet the needs of your users and institutions.  Registering for these sessions is needed to attend live or to watch the recording on demand for a year!  Don't delay, register today!

  *   Alma Developer Deep Dives.  Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Register Now! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-alma-developer-deep-dives/>
Optimized Python for Working with Data and API's. Dolsy Smith, George Washington University.
Thanks to Alma's API's, we can create custom applications, automate workflows, and perform batch operations not possible with Jobs and Sets. However, using the API's on large amounts of data can be slow. In this session, we will explore tools and strategies available in Python that can make these tasks and applications more efficient.
This session presents a workflow for retrieving and processing a large data set via the Alma API's. After a brief review of working with REST-ful API's in Python, we'll see how asynchronous programming can improve performance when making hundreds or thousands of requests. And time permitting, we'll look briefly at pandas, a highly performant library for working with data, which can streamline our data analysis and cleanup.
Building Cloud Apps on the Alma Platform. Josh Weisman, Ex Libris.
Introduction to the new method for building apps which run inside of Alma. Cloud Apps allow you to extend and add functionality to Alma to the benefit of your users and the community in general. In this session we'll walk through building a Cloud App together- a great way to get a head-start on this important new way to develop on the Ex Libris platform!
Alma Webhooks and APIs in Node.js. Liam Toohey, American University.
Alma webhooks are a powerful tool that can help you develop applications and patch workflows while saving on API calls. This session will cover the set-up of webhooks in Alma, and the creation of a Node.js server to catch incoming data. Using Alma APIs, we will then respond to the data. In the process, we'll look at the data returned by all seven Alma webhooks, and talk about how other institutions are using webhooks

  *   Developing Alma Workflow Enhancements.  Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Register Now! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-developing-alma-workflow-enhancements/>
Selenium: Where there is No API. Henry Steele, Tufts University.
There are some tables in Alma and other applications where you need to retrieve or post data on a website that isn't easily accessed except through the web interface.  I.e. there's no API and the form isn't nicely presented in a table you can pull  with web scraping tools.
This session will talk about how to use the Python implementation of Selenium for this purpose, and several different applications where this could be useful.
Introduction to Developing Cloud Apps. Josh Weisman, Ex Libris.
Meet Cloud Apps, the new way to extend the functionality of Alma and other products by writing apps which run on Ex Libris platform. In this session we'll provide a brief overview of the technology and point you in the right direction to get started with your own great idea.
Transforming SIS Patron Data Extracts into Alma Compliant XML using Python. Bill Jones, SUNY Geneseo.
Sometimes, patron data extracts from Student Information Systems won't directly work with the Alma patron data load process and they need a little help. This presentation will go over the Alma patron XML data structure and how I developed Python scripts to create Alma compliant XML with patron data extracts delivered in .plif, .xml, and .csv file types. During this presentation, I will also share the scripts that I developed and demonstrate how to run them in order to produce .zip files for upload to Alma.
Connecting Drupal and Alma. Ian Chan, California State University San Marcos.
The Library at California State University San Marcos has implemented several online services that utilize the Alma API. These include real-time fee payments, a personalized dashboard, and a circulation app for providing access to distributed collections. This session will focus on the development of a Drupal 8 module that integrates the Alma API. This module provides our users with their library account information, a customized list of course reading lists, recommendations, and a Cashnet payment form within a Drupal website. Presenters will provide highlights of the development process, the front end interface, and possible new features.
Alma Letter Customization. Tao You, Vanerbilt University; Tim Siegel, Vanderbilt University.
This workshop will focus on customizing the notifications sent to patrons via the ALMA Letters system. In this workshop, we'll start with an overview of the system, leading into a "hands on" demonstration of the various aspects and features of the tool. We'll provide real-life examples of customizations, ranging from simple (adding/removing fields) to complex (conditional cancellation and logic formulation), and give attendees the chance to suggest modifications/workflows that will be addressed in the group setting. This workshop is geared towards those who have recently migrated to ALMA, or for anyone ready to go in-depth with ALMA Letters. Attendees will leave the workshop with a suite of tailored and well-structured letters that can be used or adapted for their individual library, and the confidence to explore the possibilities provided by this tool.
Using APIs to Increase Efficiency in a Remote Storage Facility. Joel Shields, Washington Research Library Consortium; Aaron Krebek, Washington Research Library Consortium; Tammy Shields, Washington Research Library Consortium.
Staff at the Washington Research Library Consortium have developed applications to facilitate working with the records for materials in each library's Alma Institution Zone. These applications can be especially beneficial for library staff and student assistants who do not need full resource management privileges to perform a discrete task. Recently completed apps have improved Alma workflows for the consortium's shared collections facility (SCF), leading to significant improvement in efficiency and cost control.
Almagic is a suite of web utilities developed by Aaron Krebeck and built on the open source Grima library created by Katherine Lybarger at the University of Kentucky. Once logged in, Almagic allows you to create or edit a large number of fields in the bibliographic, holding, and item records without using the Ex Libris interface and user roles. WRLC staff are using Almagic to check the location of materials in the SCF, accession new materials into the SCF collection, add item notes and other free text fields, and a variety of other tasks.

  *   Primo Developer Presentations.  Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Register Now!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-primo-developer-presentations/>

Exposing Webhooks for Searching External Indexes. Nili Natan, Ex Libris; Mehmet Celik, KU Leuven.

Learn how to enhance and enrich Primo, using the Search Webhook, to offer patrons the ability to search external search indexes and retrieve results from within the library's Primo user interface.

Making Primo Search Engine Friendly. Nili Natan, Ex Libris.

Learn about the steps and best practices that Ex Libris has applied to make Primo search engine-friendly for Google crawlers.

Primo Troubleshooting: Customize Delivery Tab to Fix a Chrome Bug. Hui Zhang, Oregon State University.

Troubleshooting Primo issues is tricky because a problem can rise from several sources such as Alma, Primo configurations, or the web browser itself. And even if the source of the problem has been isolated, sometimes the problem is too complicated that you will need help from colleagues or a good tool. Either you are new to Primo troubleshooting or want to learn a few tips on CSS and web development, then this session might be especially helpful for you.

This presentation describes a case study of Primo troubleshooting for fixing errors of a resource request from in the GetIt tab due to a bug introduced with late version of Google Chrome browser. In particular, the presentation will cover these topics:

·         How to identify source of the problem with Chrome Developer Tool

·         How to define and customize the look-and-feel of Primo GetIt and ViewIt tabs in Alma

·         The CSS code for discovery tabs customization

·         How to describe the problem and ask for advices from colleagues in large

At the end of this session, participants will be able to track down the source of the problem using Chrome Developer Tool, customize Primo discovery tabs in Alma with CSS, and learn the procedure of Web troubleshooting.

Is it fast enough? Tracking Primo Performance using an Embedded User Feedback Widget. Bill Jones, SUNY Geneseo.

In order to collect information about user perceptions regarding Primo load time, I developed a javascript widget to embed into the Primo interface that allows users to report whether or not they felt the Primo results page loaded fast enough. This presentation will discuss how I developed the widget using the custom.js and custom1.css files that are loaded into the Manage Customization Package in Alma, and will share the various reports and features that are a part of the data collection website I developed to collect user reported information using URL parameters. This presentation will also show how I identified specific Primo time variables to collect, and demonstrate to the audience how they can select their own variables to collect for their own reporting purposes.

Using Tag Manager to Gather Usage Details in the Primo New UI. Lauren Ajamie, University of Notre Dame.

Primo Analytics covers many of the questions I have about how features are used, but I always have more questions. This presentation will cover how we've used Google Analytics Tag Manager to gather specific data not included in Primo Analytics.

The full ELUNA learns 2020 Series - Register now!  Watch it live or watch it On Demand later!

  *   Digital Initiatives. Recorded. August 12, 2020.  Registration Information and link for On Demand Viewing!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-digital-initiatives/>
  *   Metadata Management. Recorded August 19, 2020.  Registration Information and link  for On Demand Viewing! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-metadata-management/>
  *   eResources and Acquisitions. Recorded August 26, 2020.  Registration Information and link for On Demand Viewing!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-eresources-and-acquisitions/>
  *   Inventory Management. Recorded September 3, 2020. Registration Information and link for On Demand Viewing!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-inventory-management/>
  *   Rialto. Recorded September 23, 2020. Registration Information and link for on Demand Viewing!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-rialto/>
  *   Primo VE. Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST. Registration Information and link for On Demand Viewing!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-primo-ve/>
  *   Alma Developer Deep Dives.  Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-alma-developer-deep-dives/>
  *   Developing Alma Workflow Enhancements.  Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-developing-alma-workflow-enhancements/>
  *   Primo Developer Presentations.  Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration!<https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-primo-developer-presentations/>
  *   Leganto.  Thursday, November 5, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-leganto/>
  *   Alma Migration.  Thursday, November 12, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-migration/>
  *   Alma 101.  Friday, December 4, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-alma-101/>
  *   2020 - The Year of Change.  Friday, December 11, 2020, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST.  Program & Registration! <https://el-una.org/eluna-learns/eluna-learns-2020-the-year-of-change/>

ELUNA learns 2020 Sponsors
Thank you to our sponsors, who allow us to provide these events at the lowest possible cost.
Platinum Sponsor

[ProQuest Logo]<https://proquest.com/>

________________________________
Gold Sponsors

[Atlas Systems Logo]<https://www.atlas-sys.com/>

[GOBI Library Solutions Logo]<https://gobi.ebsco.com/>
[Marcive Logo]<http://home.marcive.com/>
[cid:[log in to unmask]]<https://www.conversight.ai/>
[Springshare Logo]<https://www.springshare.com/>

[Third Iron Logo]<https://thirdiron.com/>

________________________________
Silver Sponsors
[Backstage Library Works Logo]
<https://bslw.com/>
[Bintec Library Solutions MeeScan Logo]<https://meescan.com/>
[OCLC Logo]<https://www.oclc.org/en/d2d.html>
[StackMap Logo]<http://www.stackmap.io/>
Please send questions or comments to the ELUNA learns Planning Committee ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Thank you - Laura

Laura Morse
Director, Library Systems & Support | Library Technology Services
Harvard University Information Technology
she/her/hers

Want to improve transparency in library discovery? Submit your Open Discovery Initiative (ODI) conformance statement<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.niso.org_apps_group-5Fpublic_download.php_23872_NISO-5FRP-2D19-2D2020-5FODI-5FOpen-5FDiscovery-5FInitiative.pdf&d=DwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=SPkDhyxAi6uG4yMQGTLrlk-_cfsN6ZKp3XSi_SSTPuk&m=e0YOQg8Af9aVj48Bh64-Lg3iUga7ghm_hvTaPX5l628&s=3hRcdkxTyMG1KIDwk3KmurI0WlDkPzawt6uPO9JpeVU&e=> and be part of the solution.  View the Harvard Library Conformance Statement<https://wiki.harvard.edu/confluence/x/yHNiDw>.

Alison Hitchens
Associate University Librarian,
Collections, Technology, Scholarly Communication
University of Waterloo Library
Waterloo, ON Canada
519-888-4567 x45980

pronouns: she/her