University of Kentucky Libraries Web Developer Librarian
Recently embarking on a historic $2.1 billion comprehensive campaign, the University of Kentucky set an ambitious path to be a destination for students, scholars, and healthcare providers to forge new discoveries and arrive at world-class outcomes. University of Kentucky Libraries is vital to fulfilling the goals of enhancing and expanding the university’s research enterprise, and we are looking for an innovative and collaborative Web Developer Librarian to maintain and improve the Libraries’ new Drupal website. Reporting to the to-be-hired Head of Research and Access Applications Librarian in the Library Technology department, the successful candidate for this tenure-track position will iteratively design, maintain, and enhance the web site by maximizing user experience and promoting ease of discovery for library services and resources to meet the educational, research, and communication needs of the UK Libraries user community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage the Drupal web site within the University’s Drupal platform and plan, test, design, and deploy the Libraries’ website following University of Kentucky design standards.
· Collaborate with library colleagues in public-facing service points, Technology, Marketing and Communications, the Web Advisory Committee, and campus colleagues in UKITS.
· Provide day-to-day support for existing website including development, testing, security, troubleshooting, facilitate and mediate internal and external constituents’ needs, and related activities required for delivering an exceptional user experience across all platforms and devices.
· Participate in ongoing evaluation of emerging academic and library technologies and collaboratively assess online functionality, interoperability with other tools and services and implement continuous, iterative, user-driven improvement of UKL web presence.
· Focus on integrating contemporary design, UX principles, and accessibility standards.
· Remain abreast of technology research, directions, initiatives, and trends to provide ideas, guidance, recommendations, prioritization, and development roadmap.
· Commit to fostering an inclusive educational and professional environment and the ability to work with a diverse population.
· Serve on relevant University and Library Faculty committees, participate in scholarly activity, and represent the library at and participate in regional and national meetings.
As a member of the UKL faculty, the Web Developer participates in planning, shared governance, and in UK Libraries-wide faculty activities. This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position and requires scholarship, ongoing professional development, and service that contributes to the effectiveness of UK Libraries, the University, and the profession.
· ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science or advanced degree in a comparable field from an accredited institution.
· Experience with website development — tools, best practices, and workflow automation.
· Knowledge of current web development standards, cross platform compatibility and accessibility techniques.
· Experience with open-source software and tools.
· Self-motivation with demonstrated ability to work independently and as a contributing, collaborative member of a team.
· Excellent oral and written skills to communicate with technical and non-technical individuals and to prepare project documentation to support training.
· Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, presentation, and professional service.
· Experience programming in PHP.
· Experience with Drupal, including customization of Drupal modules.
· Undergraduate or graduate degree or significant experience in computer science
· Record of scholarship, teaching, and/or active membership in professional associations
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track positions. All career levels are encouraged to apply. Recently recognized as one of the best employers in higher education by The Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked among America’s Best Employers and Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes Magazine, the University of Kentucky strives to create an environment where all staff and faculty are embraced and supported. Employees are offered a wide array of excellent benefit options. Library tenure-track faculty are also eligible to receive a generous relocation allowance, start-up funding for research, and annual professional development/travel funds.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 50 and a support and professional staff of 86. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/351102 and attach two documents:
• Curriculum vitae
• Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. We ask that one of the references be your current supervisor.
If you have any questions, contact HR Employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
The application deadline is October 10, 2021.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/49655-web-developer-librarian