Two items:

1) Apex Data Services is offering a $10,000 grant towards the creation of an interesting digital project coming out of a library's collections.  Details in the attached pdf file.

2) There’s a new page-turning digitizing machine in town -- www.kirtas-tech.com – “Introducing the world's first automatic book scanner!  Kirtas Technologies, Inc. presents a revolutionary new chapter in the history of digital imaging. The APT BookScan 1200™, featuring patented SureTurn™ and SmartCradle™ technologies, enables unprecedented productivity for the digitization of massive document libraries, fully automating the scanning of bound documents at a capture rate of 1200 pages per hour.”

Matt Gibson (UVA) passes on the following about it, from Kirtas: “The list price of the APT BookScan 1200 is currently $150,000. The units will be available in limited quantities starting in July 2003. Non-profit organizations might want to consider our operating lease program where you only have to make a 1-year commitment renewable upon budget approval. We are currently offering 36-months lease, at 0% interest for the first 12 months and 3.9% afterwards.”

Best,

David

David Seaman

Director, Digital Library Federation