Dear all: At this year's European digital library conference (ECDL 2003)
I met with Vittore Casarosa, who has run the European "DELOS Network of
Excellence on Digital Libraries" for several years.  DELOS is a
coordinating, training, evaluation, and research organization spanning
the various EC-funded digital library projects.  They have worked
jointly with NSF on certain things, and -- assuming DELOS gets the
renewed funding it is currently seeking -- there may be good
opportunities for DLF to work with DELOS.

The appended report is longer than you may care to read but if you scan
it you can get a sense of the range of activities that are going on in
Europe (not always firmly on our radar) and the Final Remarks (part 4)
summarize their aims.

David