At 02:39 PM 12/10/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Let me turn this question on its head a moment. Why aren't more more computer
>programmers aware of the ideas and practices that allow the modern library
>to function (cataloging, reference, circulation, facilities management)? Just
>as librarians use Microsoft Word or manipulate their OPAC, programmers
>probably have used a library in their college days, or visit their local
>public library on ocassion.

I agree. I've seen database schemas that were atrocious and thought "Why
don't these database programmers learn something about how to organize
knowledge from a librarian?". Isn't data mining analogous to using a ILS
catalog? Could you imagine data mining for a marketing corporation and not
know what the schema means or how to relate the tables?

Rob

Robert Fox
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
University Libraries of Notre Dame