To what degree do y'all think computer programming should be skill aspects
of librarianship?

Since the charter of this mailing lists states it purpose as "...to provide
a forum for discussion of computer programming in the area of libraries and
information science...", and since the code4lib mailing list now includes
about seventy-five (75) subscribers, I thought I try to get things started.

Computers are great tools for storing vast amounts of data/information.
Combined with a network, computers are also great tools for
sharing/communicating this information with other computers, and therefore
people.

Librarianship is (partially) about collecting, organizing, archiving,
disseminating, and sometimes evaluating data/information/knowledge. These
processes seem very similar to the sorts of processes computers can
facilitate.

Why is it then that more librarians do not know how to create computer
software?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604