Now that we've mostly agreed that it's probably useful for at least
some librarians to know something about programming, I'm kind of
curious to know what others feel are some of the #1 all-time best uses
to which they have applied their programming chops. In other words, if
programming skills are useful in libraries, what are they useful for?

Now, I think I know the general answers to that question, and I'm
familiar with, say, the impressive list of tools and projects over at
oss4lib, but I'm more interested here in projects that are specific to
your library (or other organization). What programming-type projects
have you undertaken that really had some benefit in that context?
(Alternatively, what projects would you like to undertake if the time
and/or skills were available?)

John Durno
Project Coordinator
BC Electronic Library Network