On Feb 9, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Walter Lewis wrote:

> I had occasion to be thinking about this last fall a I contemplated the
> fact that out Mail server of choice has mailing list options but no
> list
> archives options.  I was looking for an agent that could be subscribed
> to the Mailing List and would put it's copies of the postings in a data
> store for indexing and searching.
>
>    One of the issues that I bumped into was that was passes for HTML in
> some email programs is [insert expletive of choice here].  Putting it
> in
> an XML data store was going to cause a tons of validation errors.

I am very happy with the email mailing list archiver I use. It is
called Hypermail:

   http://hypermail.org/

Most importantly, it creates robust, metadata-rich HTML files. It also
creates, by default, browsable lists by author, date, subject, and even
thread. For example, see the source of an archived email message: