DOAJ is already working on this: http://www.doaj.org/articles/031007

<cite>

Phase 2 - a searchable article index

The goal of this phase in the DOAJ development is to offer a searchable index of the full text articles from journals in the directory. The work started in September 2003 and the new service will be launched during spring 2004.

We believe that such an index will further increase the exposure of the wealth of information available in Open Access journals. The index will also be made available for harvesting by OAI service providers and through those a wider dissemination will be possible.

Since a majority of the journals do not have any structured metadata available we will harvest the full text and use that for searching. The search service will be available in mid-May 2004.

Improved data. We will offer journal administrators a possibility to add structured article metadata to DOAJ to enhance the search functionalities. This service will be available in mid-April 2004.

</cite>

Regards
Magnus Enger
Librarian

Bodø Regional University
Norway

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/16 6:00  >>>
What do y'all think of this idea, a full-text index to the content of
open access journals?

The phrase "open access journals" seems to be gaining popularity to
denote freely available scholarly journal content. There is a directory
of such content in the Directory of Open Access Journals:

   http://www.doaj.org/

What if someone, like us, were to mirror and/or crawl the content of
these open access journals and index the content. Wouldn't that begin
to demonstrate to the scholarly community that if they publish in these
titles, then access to them will be assured? Wouldn't such a project
increase access to these titles, and help improve scholarly
communication?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame