A belated comment, with a couple of strategies to reduce the maintenance
required for a screen-scraping system:

I'm doing some screen-scraping these days for a one-off project, using
Cocoon to fetch HTML and tidy it into XHTML, then a stylesheet to pull out
the bits of data that I want. It's all very easy to put together as a
pipeline. The high-maintenance part, if this were a long-term commitment,
would be the xpaths that select the HTML elements where the relevant data
sits, since if the source page gets redesigned the xpaths will change. It
would not be hard to develop a stylesheet that would display the source code
of an XHTML page with xpaths or xpath snippets for each HTML element,
something like this:

Etc. etc. Perhaps such a stylesheet already exists. You could then paste
those xpaths into the stylesheet that extracts the data. You would probably
want to allow for other methods of selection than position, using class
attributes etc. as selectors. It wouldn't be possible to cover every
eventuality, but it would at least make the maintenance of the stylesheet
easier - though probably not easy enough to hand to someone without at least
basic XSL skills.

Finally, we need to know when the input format changes. We can get part way
there by building validation into the pipeline, probably after the
extraction stage, to find e.g. empty elements that shouldn't be empty. It
should also be possible to specify some signatures for a given input format,
that are likely to break if the site is redesigned. E.g something like
"count(/html/body/table[1]/tr) = 3" would become false if they change the
number of rows in the first table. If we specified say 3 of these rules for
each input format, and tested them as part of the data extraction
stylesheet, we could at least set up an automatic notification system to
alert us when the input format changes. It will take some experimentation to
determine what kinds of signatures work best.

Peter

Peter Binkley
Digital Initiatives Technology Librarian
Information Technology Services
4-30 Cameron Library
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton, Alberta