At first I was wondering why you were complaining about the lack of
metadata, since you were providing full-text searching, but then when I
saw the search results I felt your pain. Without metadata, the document
titles are often a very poor substitute. But I'm wondering if we still
couldn't do it such a way to better organize results, such as by
journal. For example, I did a somewhat related project a while back
where I crawled all the UC web sites (mostly to prove that it could be
done to skeptics), and provided a staged set of results. First the user
gets back which sites had hits (along with a count of the number of
matching pages), then when they click on a web site they see all the
documents from that site. To see this in action, go to
<http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/uclibs/> (but keep in mind it is a
long-dead index with lots of 404s).

There may be other ways to leverage more information out of what we're
indexing. For example, a number of journals have sections, such as "In
Brief" from D-Lib Magazine and "NEWS FROM OTHER JOURNALS SECTION" from
Libres. SWISH-E is designed to be able to take documents to be indexed
from a Perl program. I could envision a relatively simple
infrastructure that would take information from a database or set of
profiles that specified when indexing a particular journal, if it ran
into "In Brief", split it on the <div> tag and index the resulting
pieces as separate files, treating the contents of the <h3> tag as the
<title>. This would vastly improve search, retrieval, and results
display. It would of course take more work to both setup and maintain,
but the result would be better.
Roy