I am trying to nail down some test cases for the 3M Standard Interchange
Protocol (SIP) and almost everything I understand about SIP comes from one
of the smart technical folks at Userful <http://www.userful.com> and an
apparently "confidential" document from 3M
<http://www.aneg-dv.de/allegro/sip2/sip2_developers_guide.pdf>. Our booking
system uses SQL and LDAP over SSL, but there's a lot of interest in tapping
into SIP and I have put together a "transformer", in Cocoon parlance, to
talk to SIP targets. So far, it works with a SIRSI and a Dynix target, but
I would be really interested in hearing from you if:

1) you have access to SIP from another ILS vendor
2) you have worked with SIP and/or have looked at vendor documentation on
their/3M's implementation

I don't think anyone supports NCIP yet but that would be fun to try too.
NCIP is XML-based and should be straight-forward to implement but I have
put it to one side until I know whether it can actually be used with a real
system.  If you have a self-check machine, you likely have SIP access,
though there seems to be all sorts of issues in using it directly in a
third-party application.

art