On May 13, 2004, at 10:05 AM, rob caSSon wrote:

> btw: III does have a product now that exports XML from their
> catalog....interestingly enough, their rep didn't even
> try to sell it to us....our line of questioning lead her to discuss
> it...

Fun.

The real advantage of exporting XML is that once you have the data you
could provide services against the data that aren't necessarily
supported by your ILS. Create statistical reports. Make and distribute
mini-catalogs on disks or CDs. Feed the data to the campus-wide
indexer. Create virtual new book shelf services. Disseminate your
content to the campus-wide portal. Print a catalog. Index the content
and simplify/enhance the search interface. Enrich the data to include
stuff that may or may not easily fit into MARC/AACR2 such as Amazon.com
data, ONIX data, or user reviews.

--
Eric Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame