It is well worth reading through Bruce D'Argus' blog that focuses on
bibliographic metadata
<http://netapps.muohio.edu/movabletype/darcusb/darcusb/>. Bruce is a social
scientist, and has become active in the MODS community. He is also
promoting the project to add bibliographic support in OpenOffice
<http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/>. If a web application would be an
option, Simon Fraser University has a very nifty web option called Citation
Manager <http://stalefish.lib.sfu.ca/CitationManager/>. I get the sense
that the "cite while you write" and integration with applications like Word
are key functions for ProCite users, and this often gets into COM bridges
and other messy platform-specific plumbing. I went through some options for
creating a toolbar at one time and this was one of the major dilemmas, I
did not want to get into platform-specific software but it's often hard to
achieve close integration with third-party applications if you don't want
to work at this level.

The Research Task Pane <http://www.devx.com/codemag/Article/18214> in
Office might provide another route into this space. If you can get the
hooks into word processing programs, I suspect that a web option is far
more preferable for collecting citations on every other front.

art