It is a bumper week for significant and impressive DLF publications -- I
am pleased to announce "Digital Library Content and Course Management
Systems: Issues of Interoperation."  This report of a study group
co-chaired by Dale Flecker (Harvard) and Neil McLean (IMS Australia) was
funded by a generous grant to DLF from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,
and can be found at

http://www.diglib.org/pubs/cmsdl0407/

Our understanding of the often-troublesome interplay between course
management systems and digital library content is significantly advanced
by this study, which defines the current situation clearly and offers
the group's "Checklist of Service Requirements, with Recommended Best
Practices," edited by Kerry Blinco (IMS Australia).  I know from many
conversations with DLF members that the use of DL content in courseware
is an "A-list" area of concern and engagement for many of us, and I'm
sure we will see further work in this area, enriched and informed by
this new publication.

Study Group participants were drawn from across the DLF and beyond and
(in addition to the Chairs) included Lynn Connaway (OCLC), James Fern
(Indiana), David Greenbaum (UC Berkeley), Nancy Hoebelheinrich
(Stanford), Leslie Johnston (Virginia), Amy Kirchhoff (Ithaka Harbors,
Inc.), Cliff Lynch (CNI), Jeff Merriman (MIT), David Millman (Columbia),
John Ockerbloom (UPenn), MacKenzie Smith (MIT), Scott Thorne (MIT),
Gordon Tibbitts (Blackwell Science, Inc), Raymond Yee (UC Berkeley), and
William Ying (ARTStor).

David