Have you ever used bambookit, or know anyone who has.  The web site has
suspiciously old "news" pages.  While the architecture and performance
claims are persuasive, the lack of open source for the product is
problematical.  Granted, it's still not Microsoft, and the XML is open,
but using it would still be a lock-in which is my principal concern
about XUL.  The Cocoon / CForms approach as you say seems much more
mainstream.  Maybe the XUL folk could be persuaded to move their focus
from Mozilla to Apache ... or is the political gap too wide?