Our default search operator is AND. Last time I looked, about 82% of
users used AND, 13% used exact phrase matching, and the remaining 5%
were about evenly split between OR and proximity matching.

A casual scan of the search terms people use suggests that multi-term
searches are usually in the form of names (like "Louis Riel") or
concepts ("Murder in the Yukon", "History of Hudson bay company"). I
don't think I've ever noticed anyone searching using several synonyms,
where OR searching might actually be useful.

William Wueppelmann
Canadiana.org
(formerly Canadian Institute for Historical Microreproductions)
http://www.canadiana.org