I'm not sure these 2 need to be separate options.  Store the files in the
database, in whatever TEXT/CLOB/XML data-type is appropriate (and supported
by your db)... assuming there are no performance reasons not to do so.
That way everything's in one place, easy to get consistent backups.

As far as data entry, if your maintenance front-end is web based (as I
assume from "CGI forms"), what about using http upload (input type="file")?

Andy Kohler / UCLA Library Info Systems
[log in to unmask] / 310 206-8312

--On Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:35 PM -0500 Eric Lease Morgan