Hi Eric,

What you describe is very close to what I've done with my Postgres
solution to search some EAD docs using a Perl/CGI.  The XML starts on
the filesystem.  I then index it with swish-e and insert the XML blob
into Postgres since swish-e isn't entirely XML aware.  In case I need
extra ability to deliver XML text fragments to enrichen the output of my
HTML in the CGI,  I use the Postgres/Throwingbeans XPath functionality
with a simple select SQL.  The database really does very little in my
app (it's only one table, actually) -- it's swish-e that drives it, and
it's really fast.

Clay