On Dec 17, 2004, at 12:50 PM, Clay Redding wrote:

> What you describe is very close to what I've done with my Postgres
> solution to search some EAD docs using a Perl/CGI.  The XML starts on
> the filesystem.  I then index it with swish-e and insert the XML blob
> into Postgres since swish-e isn't entirely XML aware.  In case I need
> extra ability to deliver XML text fragments to enrichen the output of
> my
> HTML in the CGI,  I use the Postgres/Throwingbeans XPath functionality
> with a simple select SQL.  The database really does very little in my
> app (it's only one table, actually) -- it's swish-e that drives it, and
> it's really fast.

This is interesting, very.

Yes, I intend to index entire works with swish-e. Searches against
swish-e indexes return pointers to entire documents or keys to
databases. Consequently, unless I index bunches o' paragraphs as
individual documents, it will be difficult to use swish-e as my indexer
as well as return paragraphs/lines from my texts. The idea of using
XPATH queries to extract particular paragraphs from texts is
intriguing. 'Food for thought. Thank you.

--
Eric Morgan