On Dec 20, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Walter Lewis wrote:

> For one of my solutions using TEI documents and swish, the public
> interface is designed to deliver "chapters" or "sections" of the work
> the public.  The "key" to the HTML page is the "ID" of the appropriate
>
> I wrote a routine in perl that simply extracted that part of the XML
> document and fed it to swish-e with the appropriate ID anchoring the
> Swishpath/URL string. (There was, in fact, an XML config file that told
> the routine where to find the documents in the file system and supplied
> a couple of other useful values)
>
> If you
>     give the paragraph tags an ID attribute,
>     feed it to swish-e one unit at a time,
>     set up the path as http://yoururl#p=[id attribute]
>     add <a name="[id attribute]" /> inside your <p>s
> then you should have a swish index with a path pointing to anchors
> attached to individual paragraphs of the document.

This is what I planned on doing too. Thank you for the confirmation.

Now I ask myself, "I have essentially two indexes. One is a
title/author/controlled vocabulary index that returns pointers to
entire documents. The second is a free-text index that returns
paragraphs and/or line groups. How do I create an effective (usable)
user-interface so people know which index to search OR how do I layout
combined-index search results so people understand what was returned."
Hmmm...

I'm not really trying to make this more difficult than it really is. On
the other hand, people expect utter simplicity (a la Google), and if
the interface is in the least bit confusing my work will be one click
away from obscurity.

--
Eric