I realize that this message is now "so '04", but something similar to
this with regards to proxy servers would also be incredibly useful.

For instance, there's no reason that I shouldn't be able to access the
resources on:
http://library.caltech.edu/collections/engineering/computer.htm
or
http://www.tamu.edu/pvamu/library/dblist.html
if I'm there and already have access to the resource.

It'd be simple enough to write a bookmarklet or extension or something
that changes:
http://pv-ezproxy.tamu.edu:2048/login?url=http://muse.jhu.edu/plweb-cgi/fastweb?searchform+muse
to:
http://www.library.gatech.edu:2048/login?url=http://muse.jhu.edu/plweb-cgi/fastweb?searchform+muse

Possibly making other instutions' research and subject guides more
useful to other organizations.

The key is knowing that http://pv-ezproxy.tamu.edu:2048/login? is a
proxy server...

What do you think?