In native EZProxy, the concatenated-hostname syntax is what you get
after you have logged in to EZProxy (assuming you're using the so-called
"New Strategy", i.e. proxying by host name rather than by port). It's
safer to initiate sessions using the "login?url=" syntax (starting point
urls - see
http://www.usefulutilities.com/support/cfg/database.html#spu). So, in
the situation Ross describes, an external user should encounter only
starting-point urls. But if III has changed this behavior then there
won't be an automatic way to detect proxied links.

Peter