Hi Rob,

Yes, build scripts with Ant or Maven. Yes, on using Eclipse... I'd
recommend the Sysdeo's Tomcat plugin to Eclipse:

http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/tomcatPlugin.html

For servlet stuff, Tomcat has some examples.  You might also check out
www.theserverside.com for models (you'll find probably more than you
ever wanted).

There is also an online book with samples:
http://www.theserverside.com/books/addisonwesley/ServletsJSP/index.tss
though you have to step through a convoluted registration process to get it :-(

Lastly, Sun's tutorial is pretty good (and there is no registration
requirement):
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/Servlets.html

Kevin