Well, in a sense something like your idea is exactly what I proposed in
my article "A Bibliographic Metadata Infrastructure for the
Twenty-First Century" in Library Hi Tech. For example, much of what I
want below is already in an ONIX XML record that many publishers are
making available. So why couldn't we have a METS record with an ONIX
package and a MARCXML or MODS package, and then be able to index and
display whatever we want? Thom can correct me if I'm wrong, but it was
my understanding that OCLC was remaking WorldCat to enable something
similar, as well as other capabilities. They created the "XWC"
(extended WorldCat) format that could contain MARC but was not
necessarily constrained by it.  But whether we have all the metadata in
one record in one system or whether we have two or more records in two
or more databases it seems completely obvious to me that we need to be
able to use many more metadata formats than MARC.
Roy