On Feb 2, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Kenneth R. Irwin wrote:

> I would add to your list the OhioLINK OLinks resolver, which will work
> for
> pretty much any university in Ohio:

You can add it yourself... the link to the wiki page is in the FAQ at
the URL below. :)

> I do have a question about the scalability of this approach though:
> are you
> envisioning that each user would have to tote around their resolver
> link as
> a bookmarklet, and that institutions would no longer arrange to
> pre-configure databases for their users' use? That might make sense for
> certain high-end users (e.g. those interested in the "Do something
> else"
> function), but not for your average user. It seems like this could
> create
> more, not less, work for the user. Am I missing out on a crucial
> detail?

Not quite solely as such.  I'm guesing that there are so many more
potential applications than the mere handful we currently provide (and,
in effect, hard-code) that we need to converge quickly on simple
implementation practices that enable broader use both inside our own
systems and elsewhere.  In the short run I want to add openurls to
unalog (a shared linklogging app we're running where i work) and want
to find a standard way of doing that so that is User A at Instituion
A.edu posts a reference link, User B at B.edu can resolve it locally
with little more than a preference setting, bookmarklet click, or
server-based re-routing.  It's also easy to imagine trolling weblogs of
random people working in an area that interests you and wanting to use
the bookmarklet to bounce openurls they post to your own local
resolver.

So, yeah, I imagine a bookmarklet or browser extensions would be useful
sometimes, in some cases.  I don't think I know what an average user
looks like anymore, though. :)

   -Dan