Thom,
I think you're right that the labeled display should be dumped, and I
think you have a fairly decent first cut. Since you didn't specify an
audience for this display I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it
is the average (I know there is no such thing) library user. So putting
myself in their shoes, I would want to see the a record more like this:

Wall Street On Sale: How to Beat the Market as a Value Investor [linked
to the online version]
By Timothy P. Vick
New York: McGraw-Hill, c1999.
1. Investments--United States. 2. Stocks--United States

That's it, unless there is a Notes field worth displaying. Yes, I'm
aware that I've come up with a display that is impossible to generate
from MARC, but that's kind of my point. But we can at least get close,
perhaps. You see, I think we need to start from the viewpoint of what
most users would find intuitive and useful, and do everything we can to
give it to them. Too many times we start from what we have, and make a
couple of assumptions: 1) they're interested in everything in the MARC
record (most aren't at all), and b) since we have it they should have
to look at it whether they like it or not. For example, what, pray
tell, is the purpose of displaying the control numbers? It looks like
one is a Dewey number, but that is basically useless unless it is
linked to a holding location, which may use a different shelf location
entirely. Sorry if I've made some incorrect assumptions. I also don't
want my comments to overshadow the fact that I think you are definitely
on the right track of dumping the typical labeled display. Thanks,
Roy