John,

This is a good question.  Of course, this isn't something that I figured
could be solved in an afternoon (a Friday, at that!), but I think it
warrants investigation.

A way to address the situation you mention would be to add a 3rd field
(maybe, I could be misunderstanding the problem) so:

dbID:variantID:vendorID (or something)

with variantID being a unique id to explain away the inconsistencies
(:letters, :BCPapers, etc.)

I don't really have a good answer in regards to "scope".  I think a
definition of "database" would be in order.

Maybe.

-Ross.