I'd find something like this really useful for a couple of projects I'm
working on.

I think the dbID:vendorID format could work quite well, as it preserves
both the fact that the content is the same and that it's located in a
different place. That's assuming that vendor here refers to the host
... or does it refer to the publisher? Host would be better I think, as
there is generally only one publisher for a given resource, but the
host can often be any one of a number of service providers. (eg. APA
publishes PsycINFO ,which can be hosted by EBSCO, ProQuest, OVID, etc.)

There are complications arising from the fact that what constitutes a
"database" can be fairly fluid. eg. databases that consist of multiple
possible collections (thinking here of something like ProQuest's
Canadian Newsstand, which can be any or all of a number of regional
newspaper collections), or ebook databases like netLibrary. Not sure
how those kinds of content variations could be reflected in a standard
ID, or even if they should be.

John

--
John Durno