In MARC-21 authorities the standard identifier for the controlled vocabulary is found in the 001 field.  It's up to the vocabulary owner to determine the structure of what is found in the 001 field.  People use identifiers for different purposes, this is why there are so many schemes.  I doubt that you will every get everyone to agree on one scheme for identifiers.  The library community doesn't seem to have a issue with this, since the MARC-21 format allow other standard identifiers to be associated with a resource, e.g., ISBN, ISSN, etc.

Andy.