Denise, we're doing this for the History E-Book Project, but it is a
manual process. We're inserting part and chapter information down to 4
layers. We have more advanced navigation for the fully encoded books in
the collection, but it seems like you're asking about digitized
versions of the print. Am I right?

Two examples
http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=acls;view=toc;
idno=heb00004.0001.001
http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=acls;view=toc;
idno=heb00891.0002.001

(I'm not sure if your instition has access to the texts, but you should
be able to, at least, see the tables of contents.)
Best Regards,
Brian

On Apr 6, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Denise Troll Covey wrote:
> Is anyone capturing structural metadata to facilitate navigation of
> digitized books (for example, navigating chapter by chapter, or
> navigating
> a list of figures or tables)?  If you are aware of anyone doing this
> work,
> please contact me.  I need to talk to someone with hands-on experience.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Denise
>
> Denise Troll Covey
> Principal Librarian for Special Projects
> Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
> 4909 Frew St., Hunt Library
> Pittsburgh, PA  15213
> 412-268-8599
> 412-268-2793 (fax)
Brian Sheppard
Collections Manager
Scholarly Publishing Office
University of Michigan                   (734) 647-6975
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205                [log in to unmask]
"J'appuyais tendrement mes joues contre les belles joues
de l'oreiller, qui, pleines et fraīches, sont comme les
joues de notre enfance."