From: Stuart Dempster [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 12:28 PM
Subject: IMPORTANT: Simon Brackenbury

Dear Colleague,

It is with very great sadness that I have to inform you of the death of
Simon Brackenbury on Monday. Simon led the BOPCRIS project at the
University of Southampton. Simon was instrumental in implementing the
UK's first high volume robotic scanning initiative and was amongst the
UK's leading digital library developers.

Many of you will recall Simon's energy, expertise, friendship, good
humour and visionary sense of purpose in building open access
e-resources for us all. His infectious enthusiasm helped steer a spirit
of true collaboration and common purpose amongst the JISC Digitisation
Projects and beyond.

I am sure that you will join me in sending our deepest condolences to
Simon's family, friends and colleagues, all of whom should be in our
thoughts and prayers at this sad time. Simon will be sadly missed and
fondly remembered.

I understand that Simon's family has suggested that donations for
various charities, rather than flowers would be appreciated. I will send
you further information on this next week.

Sincerely,

Stuart Dempster
Programme Manager,
The Joint Information Systems Committee,
Kings College London,
Strand Bridge House,
138-142 Strand,
London