On May 23, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Steven C. Perkins wrote:

> I did a search on indigenous.  The first item was a French article.
> The display of diacritics was messed up.  I added French to the
> languages in IE, but the display was still bad.  I don't know if this
> is a WinXP problem or a problem with your page.  I did not see a
> language encoding on your source.  Perhaps UTF-8 will fix this?  Or it
> may be a problem from the document retrieved.

Yes, I do not know how to handle the extended ASCII characters, and I
hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

As I said earlier, I use Net::OAI::Harvester to... harvest the data. I
use MyLibrary to save the data to a MySQL database. I then write
reports against the database in the form of a simple XML stream and
feed the stream to swish-e for indexing. I know swish-e is unable to
index multi-byte characters, and search results come directly from
swish-e, not MyLibrary.

Maybe I should draw search results from MyLibrary and not swish-e to
display characters correctly? If I draw content from many global
sources, then how do I know what character set to use for display?

--
Eric "Really Feeling Like The 'Ugly American'" Morgan