We, at the University of Notre Dame, have successfully replicated the
Pirate Source application developed at East Carolina University using as
a basis the MyLibrary 3.0 Perl modules. The application layer is also
written in Perl (Pirate Source is written in PHP). The link to the
Pirate Source application at ECU is here for comparison:

The link to the test version of MyLibrary in the guise of Pirate Source
is available here:

This is just a first run, about two days of development time. The
returned resources give you location information (a URL linked title, if
available) and a description which can be seen when the left arrow is
clicked. The returned set is also organized in the same way that ECU
organized Pirate Source. The only functionality that we've added is that
we check to make sure that when you click an option during steps 2 and
3, that you will always have at least one resource in the result list.
In other words, you should never receive an empty result list.

We did this in order to demonstrate an alternate way that folks can use
the MyLibrary OOP API and write applications which will present data in
any way that meets the requirements of the institution using the
software. We will put the piratesource.cgi program in CVS so that you
can download it and try it out. I just need to document the program with
a POD and I'll upload it to the repository.

Please give us your feedback. Any number of these search/browse widgets
can be created as an application layer using the MyLibrary API.

Robert Fox
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
University Libraries of Notre Dame
[log in to unmask]