JSTOR and the Harvard University Library are pleased to announce that the initial production release of JHOVE (the JSTOR/Harvard Object Validation Environment, pronounced "jove") is now available at <http://hul.harvard.edu/jhove/>.

JHOVE is an extensible framework for format-specific object identification, validation, and characterization.  Format identification answers the question, "I have an object; what format is it?"  Validation answers the question, "I have a format purportedly of format F; is it?"  Characterization answers the question, "I have an object of format F; what are its salient properties?"

This version, Rel. 1.0 (2005-05-026), includes modules that support the following formats:

o  AIFF, AIFF-C
o  ASCII
o  GIF 87a, 89a
o  HTML 3.2, 4.0, 4.01, XHTML 1.0 and 1.1
o  JPEG, JFIF, Exif 2.0 and 2.1, SPIFF, JTIP, JPEG-LS
o  JPEG 2000 JP2, JPX
o  PDF 1.0-1.6, PDF/X-1, -1a, -2, -3, Tagged PDF, Linearized PDF, PDF/A-1
o  TIFF 4.0-6.0, Class B, G, P, R, Y, F, TIFF/IT, TIFF/EP, Exif 2.0 and 2.1, GeoTIFF, TIFF-FX, RFC 1314, DNG
o  UTF-8
o  WAVE, BWF
o  XML 1.0

Still image metadata is reported in the form of NISO Z38.97/MIX schema; audio metadata is reported in the form of AES-X098B schema.

Detailed release notes, documentation, and tutorial information are available on the JHOVE web site <http://hul.harvard.edu/jhove/>.

A "JHOVE-users" listserv has been established to provide a forum for general discussion and announcements and is intended to increase the adoption and usefulness of JHOVE in the digital library, archives, repository, and preservation communities.  To subscribe, email <[log in to unmask]> with the command:

        subscribe jhove-users

in the message body.

JHOVE is made available under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

JHOVE is a joint project of JSTOR and the Harvard University Library.  Development of JHOVE was funded in part by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation through a grant to JSTOR for its Electronic-Archiving Initiative.

Please direct all comments to <[log in to unmask]>.

---
Stephen L. Abrams
Digital Library Program Manager
Harvard University Library, Office for Information Systems
1280 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 404
Cambridge, MA 02138
T +1 (617) 495-3724
F +1 (617) 495-0491