You might have a look at TextIndexNG which now has thesaurus support.  It
is not a general Python solution but specific to Zope and Zope products.

TextIndexNG <http://zopyx.com/OpenSource/TextIndexNG/>
thesaurus support
<http://zopyx.com/OpenSource/TextIndexNG/HelpCenter/howto/thesaurus>

Chris

"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me." --bumper sticker