For those of you wondering where Bob Martin is going after his very
successful tenure at IMLS, here's the answer.  I'm sure we all wish him
success in his new position.

David

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
07/12/05

Contact: Karen Garcia
940/898-3456

DR. ROBERT MARTIN NAMED ENDOWED CHAIR AT TWU FOLLOWING IMLS SERVICE

July 12, 2005 - DENTON  Dr. Robert S. Martin, former director of the
national Institute of Museum and Library Services, has been appointed to

the Lillian Bradshaw Endowed Chair in Library Science at Texas Woman's
University.

Dr. Martin, who served as professor and interim director of TWU's School
of
Library and Information Studies prior to his federal post, will return
the Denton campus Sept. 1. His term with the IMLS ended July 12.

"I look forward to returning to Texas Woman's University and to
rejoining
my colleagues in the School of Library and Information Studies," Dr.
Martin
said. "I'm also deeply honored to accept the position of Lillian
Bradshaw
Endowed Chair.

"As director of the Institute, my focus was on providing support for the

important educational resources and services museums and libraries
provide," Dr. Martin said. "One of the most important resources a
library
has is knowledgeable professionals who can meet the needs of a variety
of
patrons. The TWU School of Library and Information Studies does a
tremendous job of preparing professionals who can thrive in an
ever-changing environment, and I look forward to again being a part of
that."

TWU Chancellor and President Dr. Ann Stuart said, "It is a pleasure to
welcome Dr. Martin back to Texas Woman's University, and to honor him
with
an endowed chair. He represented the Institute of Museum and Library
Services with distinction during his tenure as director, and will
continue
his support for creating lifelong learners by helping the TWU School of
Library and Information Studies prepare tomorrow's leaders in the
information professions."

President George W. Bush in June 2001 nominated Dr. Martin as the first
librarian to serve as director of the IMLS, a federal grant-making
agency
dedicated to helping the nation's 15,000 museums and 122,000 libraries
serve their communities. The U.S. Senate unanimously confirmed his
nomination.

During his tenure, the institute awarded 4,318 grants totaling more than

$861 million. These federal grants provided funding to libraries and
museums for educational programs, community outreach, leadership
development, and care and digitization of collections.

Under Dr. Martin's leadership, the IMLS took on a principal role in
representing the United States in international discussions of libraries

and museums. He assisted in drafting the ministerial statement for the
first-ever U.N. World Summit on the Information Society in Geneva,
Switzerland, in 2003. In 2004, Dr. Martin headed the U.S. delegation to
the
organization of American States Intergovernmental Meeting of Ministers
of
Culture in Mexico City. Later that year, he served as co-head of the
U.S.
delegation to the UNESCO Intergovernmental Meeting on Cultural Diversity
in
Paris.

Prior to his work at TWU, Dr. Martin served as director and librarian of

the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. He has authored and
co-authored several scholarly publications, including two best-selling
books that reflect his interest and expertise in the history of the
American Southwest. He has held elected and appointed roles in
professional
library and archives organizations. Among his many awards is the Justin
Winsor Prize for best library history essay from the American Library
Association.

The Lillian Bradshaw Endowed Chair in Library Science is named in honor
of
Mrs. Lillian Bradshaw, director of the Dallas Public Library from
1962-1984.

#  #  #

Ling Hwey Jeng, Ph.D.
Professor and Director
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University                 Voice: (940) 898-2602
P.O. Box 425438                             Fax: (940) 898-2611
Denton, TX 76204-5438   Email: [log in to unmask]